Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Bionic Dog

Meet Winston.  The world's strongest, loudest dog.  Winston is a 10 month old pug and he is stronger than my 170 pound Great Dane... and I am not exaggerating.  Winston's mom, Anne, and I have been friends for a while, and I live vicariously through her because my dream dog has been a Pug.  Jasper (my dane) was supposed to be a pug, but fate or something cosmic intervened.  I met Anne about 3 years ago when I worked with her other dog, Lilly.  Who, by all accounts is normal.  Winston, however, is not.  Don't get me wrong.  I ADORE Winston, and have been madly in love with him since I met him when he was 8 weeks old.  I am posting a photo of his puppy class, plus a recent one that was taken on the same day as this story took place.

Winston has issues with grooming- specifically getting his nails cut.  Anne asked me if she could come over and get some help with teaching her how to cut Winston's nails. "Of course", I said, as I looked forward to seeing him.  They arrived and we got to work.  Let's suffice it to say that Winston despises, no abhores, no strongly dislikes.... no HATES having his paws touched, much less his nails clipped.  I was shocked at the noises coming out of his body as we lightly touched his paws, and even more shocked at how strong this dog was.  It took every ounce of my being to hold him still while Anne inevitably got the job done.  I am not exaggerating at all when I say he is stronger than any Great Dane or Mastiff or Newfoundland I have ever restrained.

What is wrong with my little Winston???  This is not right, so I came up with a desensitization plan for him, but in the end, I simply cannot believe the strength of one little dog.  My back will never be the same.  I love him, but I think I'll get someone else to restrain him next time.  :)

No comments: