Monday, September 14, 2009

Super Puppies!

One of my greatest joys in life is watching puppies play.  And for obvious reasons (I think) my favorite class to teach is Super Puppy class.  Actually, though- I think the puppies teach me.  You see, it's very simple.  Puppies are fair and forgiving.  They play, they wrestle, they snark, they run, they hump, they bite, etc.... all the things that puppies do.  And for the most part, puppies will let other puppies do whatever they want- Unless one of them bites too hard.  Then they scream and yip and howl like someone is trying to take their Christmas presents away.  But, once they howl, and the play stops for one or two seconds, they go right back at it.  Puppies forgive other puppies' trangressions within a fraction of a second and move on.  I wish more people did that!
This past Saturday we had 6 puppies in class and it was wrestle-mania: WWF at Quality Paws.  I was so happy to see all the puppies playing appropriately, snarking and biting and playing, just like they should.  Playing with other puppies is SO important for bite inhibition (see Bite Inhibition Article) .  If you wait too long, or only let your puppy play with adult dogs, it may be too late.

No comments: